Thursday, June 10, 2010

David Lewis My Friend

There's a huge hole in my heart this day. My partner, friend and a big piece of what I'm about was shot and killed yesterday. David Lewis: East Palo Alto, California; a champion for disconnected populations. An advocate for men and women in prisons across the country, and a voice for positive change - shot in the back in San Mateo, California.

His legacy will live on, but his presence will be greatly missed from California to New York, and in other parts of the world as well. Those of us who were blessed to spend time with David on the Misouri River in Montana will feel his presence as we reminisce around a campfire for years to come. His dedication to AA and NA found him at meetings in Wolf Creek, Montana! In my 35 years fishing the rivers in Montana, David set a precidence. He's the first fisherman I've met that went to AA meetings during a fishing trip! But that was my friend, David Lewis. He was one of a kind and I will miss him dearly.

Peace,

Gordon Graham

4 comments:

Kaaren Mayfield said...

Gordon, David did a seminar here in Paducah KY last month and talked fondly about going fishing with you. He joked about the image of a black man fly fishing, said he loved it and looked forward to going this year.
He joined my husband and I at our AA hall for a speaker meeting. He felt glad to get to a meeting and we were excited to have him there.
You were the first person I though of when I heard. May God's grace cover you through this difficult time.

Patricia Agheli said...

Mr. Graham, I was saddened when I heard the terrible news about David. I met the 3 of you when you visited the PSAP program at Folsom Prison where I worked. I gave you a copy of my collection of prison poetry. While David's life was cut short, he was fortunate to have touched the lives of so many during his lifetime. I hope the fond memories you have will somehow be helpful as you deal with this enormous loss. Even in his death, David sends a message to all - we never know when that day will come. God Bless You.

Patricia Agheli

Larry Nye said...

Gordy: WOW! What a LOSS! What a LIFE! I remember him with affection and respect.

I know many will continue to look to his life as a Great Role Model.

Thank you for raising him up and introducing us to him.

Larry

Anonymous said...

Gordy, my heart is heavy with the news of this tremendous loss. David was awesome -- a favorite part of my past work with your company. He was truly an inspiration to thousands and thousands of people. Although it was quite some time since I last saw him, I thought of him often and will now hold dearly to the amazing memories I have of him. -- Annette Bessey