Monday, August 4, 2008

A Positive Conspiracy

In the 1980’s there was a spiritual revolution that took place in our society. Marilyn Ferguson wrote a book called The Aquarian Conspiracy, and her premise was that people on a spiritual quest recognize one another when they meet. I believe there are positive conspirators as well, and that when they meet they connect in the same way.

I’m writing a book entitled, A Positive Conspiracy, outlining some of the positive conspirators in my own life’s journey who have opened doors and given me entry into areas that would generally be closed to people with my background. These co-conspirators are CEO’s and union leaders; wardens and convicts; women and men; young and old; from various races and skin colors. They all seem to have one common interest, and that is to make the world that we all inhabit a better place.

These conspirators’ motivation seems to come from a need to give their lives meaning, that need we all share that is filled by giving rather than from receiving. What I’ve discovered in my own life’s journey is that the more you give, the more you receive. Some don’t have the resources to give material gifts, but we can all share our unique talents, friendship and our love.

Just reaching out in some way to another human being can be a great gift. When I visit a prison and have the opportunity to share my knowledge and experience with men and women who are locked away from society, my cup is filled.

There’s a great saying that goes, “if you cut an apple in half, anyone can count the seeds in an apple; but no one can count the apples in a seed.” You never know when your words of encouragement, or an unexpected, “I love you,” will make someone’s day. What co-conspirators have discovered is that the more you give, the happier you are. That is to say, when our spirit of intent is to enrich another rather than being driven by ego, the need for self-glorification or financial gain we feel more fulfilled. If there is a secret to life it is hidden in this concept.

All of us need to generate income since we live in a world that requires money to sustain our own and our families’ welfare. However, money should be a by-product of good work and/or good service rather than just trading time for money. In psychologist Eric Erickson’s eight developmental stages, the seventh stage is generativity, or the giving without selfish motivation. It seems that many reach this point early in life, and yet some never seem to gain this stage of development. The only one who truly knows why we do what we do is the person in the mirror.

I’ll be back next week. Be at peace.

Gordy Graham

3 comments:

arvin said...

It was back in 1981 that I first recevied your words of hope. Hope that I just may be able to live a life without the barriers, and the tools to remove any that got in the way there after. I am one of those apples that you planted the seeds so long ago. You were the positive conspirator that I met and was able to connect with. Since then my life has just gotten better and better. I don't just see it in my life, but I also get to see it in the life of those who come to me as I did to you so long ago. I'm really looking forward to reading your new book. Gordy you are my wizard

Inventive Productions LLC said...

The first time I heard Gordy speak was back in February 1988. I sat next to my father at the top of the old Canyon Club restaurant at Eagle Crest. I will never forget that day. Gordy truly changed my outlook on life and the possibility to change.

Anonymous said...

Gordon you are so right.i truly believe the more you give the more you get in return.Cat and you have taught me to give more, in the area of listing,smiling and taking the time to ask people about their personal lives like hows the kids,what are your intrest and how can i help you and most of all follow thur on my promises.my trust accout is growing like a wild fire. thank you for every thing you and Cat have done for me and family i live your principles every day.

have a great day
David Rodriguez