Thursday, February 5, 2009

Gordon Graham: Thoughts on Change

Thoughts on Change
by Gordon Graham

Everyday I receive a number of letters from men and women in state and federal prisons from across the United States and Canada. Generally the letter is response to one of our video based programs that are utilized in prisons as a resource to assist inmates in changing their approach to life. Often the letter is just a thank you for creating an approach to change that they can relate to, at other times it’s someone wanting a magic pill.

The one common theme is a desire to break the cycle that keeps them caught up in the system. I’ve been at this for 38 years and still struggle with how to respond in a way that is helpful, but that also deals with reality. There is one truism that cuts through all the rationalization and blame fixing. If you stop doing whatever it is that puts you in prison, the cops will stop arresting you. However, it took me a long time to internalize that message.

There are some practical ideas that can trigger a change. When you, deep down in your soul, make a commitment to do whatever it takes to improve your life, your thoughts and energy change. No one knows when this happens but you. The way that you think impacts how you act. So when you change the way you think your life changes.

Principals drive behavior. If you honestly look at the principals that you hold to be true it will give you a starting point for change. A principle of unconditional honesty has been my guiding principle for the past 38 years.

Accepting accountability for who you are and for where you are in life is a strong foundation for accepting accountability for your future. I recognize that life isn’t always fair. Things occur that are out of our control, but if we come back to our center of influence and ask the question, “What can I do about it?” It will put you back in the driver’s seat.

Affirmations have been a tool that I’ve used for many years. When I neglect using affirmations life doesn’t work as well. The other thing that I do is stay in touch with a Higher Power. This is personal to me and I respect other people’s right to believe as they choose.

I also stay focused on what I want in my life. Sometimes it’s necessary to see through the pain to the pleasure in our lives.

Peace – Gordy Graham

Affirmations
1.) I believe in myself and I believe I make a difference.
2.) I believe that good things happen to me and I take all setbacks as temporary.
3.) I treat all people with dignity and respect.

No comments: